Monday, May 20, 2013

Whole30 Challenge - Day 1, part 1

Whole30...Paleo on steroids. I had considered going Paleo, but thought that giving up a lot of my favorite foods would be hard. I watched one of my friends do the Whole30, and was intrigued. 30 days...that sounds challenging but manageable. I just turned 26, and I am not getting any younger. I've been trying to get my weight and health under control for the last 6 years without much luck.

My interest in the program peaked last Thursday, I bought It Starts With Food on Friday, and then I binged on all the delicious over-processed crap that makes up the majority of my diet for the weekend, and then, BOOM, here we are, Monday morning, Day 1 of my Whole30 Challenge. I didn't put it off any longer because I did not want to lose my gumption.

I guess this is called the "This isn't so bad day." The next few days will be like a food hangover, and the rest of the week just general misery. Then I may start to feel better. So far it has not been bad, but then again, I generally don't eat breakfast. Today I had three little egg "muffins". Kinda similar to a quiche, but without the heavy cream and potato crust and all the veggies cooked in olive oil instead of piles of butter. Since I ate, my stomach is now awake and ready to eat more.

For lunch I have a bowl of broccoli with some chicken breast (it is from Costco, which has sugar in their marinade, but I don't eat the skin, so I am fudging this a little) and I have a bag of strawberries (which I gave in and ate half of during my break).

Dinner is up in the air. I have to clean the kitchen after yesterday's Barbeque and then figure out what to make.I think the hardest thing in the house to resist will be the homemade Pomegranate and Sage lemonade in the fridge that is left over. Avoiding sugar-loaded-chemical-shit-storm beverages  is going to be the hardest.

Later today I have to take my starting measurements and weight. You cannot weight or take measurements during the process so that way you focus on the positive eating instead of the numbers on the scale. This will be hard too, but is a great idea.

I am doing this challenge because I need to hit the reset button on my life, including food. Just "dieting" won't be enough, I have to fully unplug and then plug back in. I think I have some allergies, but my diet is so fouled up, I don't even know where to start. My husband is kinda participating, but only at home. My dad and mom seem to doubt that I will be able to complete this challenge, but that just adds fuel.

Next week we begin preparing for the Tough Mudder. Only 172 days to go from overweight couch potato to fit and hardcore obstacle course runner.



No comments:

Post a Comment